Importance of Homework Assignments
Students are required to carry some work home by their teachers after school, which could include writing, an exercise or reading something. Homework assignments are to strengthen a student's knowledge, especially on the things they cover with their teachers at school.
Students do not handle homework well sometimes, and they might do it to avoid punishments from their teachers instead of doing them for their benefit.
Homework assignments are also to prepare them for a new concept in their lessons before they cover it in class.
Purposes of Giving Out Homework Assignments
Teachers have different reasons and purposes of giving students work to do at home. Some of them include;
- School’s policies and regulations
Teachers could be following rules set by the school management regarding homework assignments. Some have it as a mandatory task for students. They should always carry work home to keep them busy and help them learn.
- To prepare the students.
Assignments are also crucial in preparing students for a new concept before the teachers present to the class and teach it. They sometimes ask students to read on it and try to understand before discussing it.
- For general practice
Teachers give out homework assignments to help study to practice more at home on the things they teach them at school. It helps them remember and understand better. If they have something that was not clear enough, they get a chance to discuss and ask questions about it.
- To create a parent-child relationship.
Homework brings students and parents together as they help them with it, and also they get to understand if there are some areas their children are struggling with. They are not able to know this from schoolwork because they are not there.
H2; Effects of Homework Assignments
There are different effects of giving students homework assignments, both positive and negative. They include;
- Homework seems to improve the students' performance academically. It is, however, not in all cases but most of the students.
- Giving students assignments help them to improve their habits and skills.
- It brings a lot of anxiety to students. Teachers give too much work sometimes and severe punishments threats to them. This way they anxious and they want to do the assignment to impress the teachers and stay out of trouble which at the end of the day makes no sense. Too much work can also result in lack of sleep to the student affecting them negatively.
- Homework denies the students a chance to socialize, play and have a refreshing time which makes them more productive. They end up working hard at school and end up doing extra at home.
- Too much homework could encourage cheating because students are overwhelmed by a lot of the work that teachers expect them to finish within a short time. They ought to copy from each other instead.
Homework assignments are acceptable only when there is a balance between what is too much and what is necessary to prepare students and improve their studies. If teachers could balance these, then students would not feel the pressure from too much homework, and they are also able to balance their time and ensure they work on assignments and have a social life.